HMS Blackwood (K313)
|Built by:||Boston Navy Yard (Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.)|
|Laid down:||22 Sep, 1942|
|Launched:||23 Nov, 1942|
|Commissioned:||27 Mar, 1943|
|Lost:||15 Jun, 1944|
|Loss position:||50.07N, 02.01W|
Leased from the US
on 27 March, 1943.
On 15 June 1944, HMS Blackwood (Lt. Cdr. L.T. Sly, RNR) was on patrol as part of the 4th Escort Group in the west end of the English Channel to protect the ships of the Normandy landings, when she was hit by a Gnat from U-764 off Brittany. She foundered while under tow off Portland Bill the following day.
The wreck lies in 60 meters of water in position 50º07'00"N, 02º01'06"W.
Hit by U-boat, Torpedo and Sunk on 15 Jun, 1944 by U-764 (Bremen).
23 Nov, 1943
The German submarine U-648 was sunk in the North Atlantic north-east of the Azores, in position 42º40'N, 20º37'W, by depth charges from the British frigates HMS Bazely (Lt.Cdr. J.V. Brock, RCNVR), HMS Blackwood (Cdr. E. Chavasse, RN) and HMS Drury (Lt.Cdr. N.J. Parker, RN).
5 Nov, 1943