HMS Newark (G08)
|Built by:||Union Iron Works (San Francisco, California, U.S.A.)|
|Laid down:||20 Oct, 1917|
|Launched:||14 Apr, 1918|
|Commissioned:||26 Nov, 1940|
|End service:||18 Feb, 1947|
USS Ringgold was formally transferred to Great Britain 26 November 1940 at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and renamed Newark in honour of towns in both Great Britain and the United States. Although manned initially by a Royal Canadian Navy care and maintenance party, Newark was commissioned for Royal Navy service 5 December 1940, Lt. Comdr. R. H. W. Atkins, RN, in command.
Newark was damaged in collision with her sister Newmarket 9 December 1940, necessitating repairs that delayed her departure for British waters. Standing out of Halifax 4 February 1941 in company with H.M.S. Wells, she encountered a heavy gale and subsequently developed engine trouble. Towed back to Halifax, Newark again departed 26 February 1941 and arrived at Belfast 5 March and Plymouth, England 9 March 1941.
Assigned to the 17th Destroyer Division, Newark participated in escort duty for the 1st Mine-laying Division operating in the Irish Sea and for the Iceland ferry service. She suffered minor bomb damage in an air attack at Belfast on the night of 4-5 May 1941 but resumed active duty that August. While in company with H.M.S. Southern Prince 25 August 1941, Newark was hit by a torpedo forward and had to be escorted into Belfast. Following completion of repairs in May 1942, Newark rejoined the 17th Destroyer Division. She assisted H.M.S. Castleton in rescuing survivors of the German submarine U-464 on 20 August 1942.
Newark was transferred to the Rosyth Escort Force during 1944, operating in the North Sea and in waters north of the British Isles on antisubmarine duty. In January 1945 she became an aircraft target ship under orders of the Rear Admiral, Northern Air Stations. Newark was scrapped at Botness on 18 February 1947.
|Former name:||USS Ringgold (DD 89)|