|In talking to some Americans, they comment " Well we were rationed to" and I would like to show them the small amount we were allotted.
Also that horse meat was served in the restaurants ( fit for human consumption )
A typical ration for one person for one week was:-
4oz jam or other preserves
|What did sailors eat?
Apart from civilians, people in the services (Army, Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force) also relied on rations. The sailors on board HMS ships had a daily ration.
The rations served to the sailors on board each day were as follows:-
10 oz bread
½ oz tea or coffee
A treat from the Navy!
Try making navy-style hot chocolate ('Kye'). This recipe is enough for two people.
1. Break a small bar of plain dark chocolate into pieces.
2. Place pieces in a saucepan with one mug of hot water (boiled from the kettle).
3. Heat up until the chocolate has melted.
4. Add one tin of condensed milk.
5. Bring to the boil and serve in mugs